Mar 28, 2016

How To Get Rid Of Mold In A Sipppy Cup

A few weeks ago I was going through articles that seemed to peak my interest. One that really made me jump out of my chair was a picture of a sippy cup that a mother had taken. The top of the tommy tippy cup had been cut open to reveal that there was mold growing inside the cup and was the main reason why her child had been so sick the last few weeks. I was a wreck thinking that although we didn’t have that particular sippy cup at home, we did have a Munchkin 360 that Lily used frequently at daycare but we’ve never taken the time to officially take it apart to check for mold.

Lily has been battling congestion for what seems like months. We thought it was allergies at first but after having her 2 year physical back in January, her ped rules that out as her being too young. We couldn’t figure out what the issue could be until I saw this particular article. I raced home and with very easy success, was able to take apart her cup including the silicone stopper which was the hidden 3rd part of her cup. We usually would just unscrew the lid and put both the bottom and top of her cup in the dishwasher to be cleaned but I never though of taking the silicone cover off her cup.

Sure enough, there was small black mold growing inside the inner part! I was so freaked out and disgusted that I never thought of it before. I took apart the other 3 cups that we had of hers and found the same thing. How we could be so careless to not think of this before? I felt like an awful mother.

So here's what I did.

1. Fill your sink with hot soapy water. Mix thoroughly to distribute the soap through the hot water.
2. Remove the lid from the cup and try to get as much mold as possible from the inside of the cup.
3. Place the cup and the lid into the soapy water and allow the lid and cup to soak for at least 5 minutes.
4. Scrub the inside and outside of the cup with a sponge. Allow the lid to soak. Focus on all the areas of the cup, in this case, the inside of the silicone stopper which may be difficult to get too. Grab a Q-tip to help get into the small hole. Return the cup to the water.
5. Scrub the accessible parts of the lid with the sponge. You can use another Q-tip to clean any areas you cant fit into and then rinse the lid thoroughly in the soapy water.
6. Once the lid and cup parts are scrubbed, take them out and rinse with cool water. Once finished and all the soap is gone, place them on a drying rack to dry for the remainder of the day or overnight.

I'm doing this from now on with these cups and also putting all 3 parts in the dishwasher once she's finished with her cup. Parenting isn't always easy and these are just life lesson to now be more aware of. Have you ever dealt with this before? 

post signature


  1. One of my biggest fears was mold in the boys cups when they were younger. We always threw them away after 6 months to avoid any mold. We even dishwasher sanitized them or put them in boiling water.

  2. We use the 360 cups and we also use contigos. My husband is a stickler for making sure that things are taken apart as much as possible and washed in hot soapy water. He is really good about it! We have a basin we keep by our sink and every night we empty her cups and take all the parts apart and soak them and then run them through the dishwasher. The mold is no joke and is definitely a scary thing! Sorry you had to deal with this!

  3. I always boil them in hot water but it still skeeves me out, I just use to toss it after a few months to be sure. It sucks that these companies haven't created something easy to clean. All these little crevices make it nearly impossible to clean.

  4. We have these same cups!! I started looking under the silicone part after that article hit too and ew... it hadn't molded yet, but there was a bunch of curdled milk in there. SO. GROSS. sorry you actually had sickness happen because of this!

  5. We bought some straw cleaner brushes off amazon to use on our camelbaks and contigo bottles. They also perfect for the little crevices in sippy cups.


Back to Top