This post is sponsored by Ghirardelli, all opinions are my own.
I have a problem. A serious one.I can’t stop eating Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark. Totally not exaggerating when I say that I pretty much need to have at least two bags of these in stock all times.
What really surprises me is that until a few weeks ago, I had never tried their Peppermint Bark! And I looooove peppermint + chocolate together so of course it makes sense that I brought this flavor combination to play once again AND top it with a Peppermint Bark square. Right? Right?!
We’ll start off with the chocolate cupcake. And let me tell you – I went through some trials and tribulations with this cupcake. I wanted it to have a really rich chocolate flavor and a denser crumb (we don’t want our cupcakes falling apart!). And of course, it had to be m-o-i-s-t.Behold- the most incredible dark chocolate peppermint bark cupcake I have ever baked, ate and complained why I didn’t bake more! For me, I think the entire reason why this cupcake screams holiday is because of the delicious Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark that I break in half and add to the top. And yes, I admit I had perhaps a few squares as I was baking. #Whynot. Ghirardelli Makes the Holidays a Bite Better with these signature Peppermint Bark, and in my case, signifies the start of the Christmas season! Be sure to grab them at your local Walmart while you bake this season!
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, brought to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Dark Chocolate Frosting
1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 stick)2/3 cup Dark Chocolate3 cups powdered sugar1/3 cup milk1 tsp vanilla extract
- 14 Ghirardelli Peppermint Squares
- Preheat oven to 350F and line two 12-cavity muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Add the chopped chocolate, unsweetened cocoa powder, and butter to a small bowl. Microwave for 1-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Once the mixture is about 75% melted, take the bowl out of the microwave and allow the residual heat to do the rest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract. Then, add the sugar and continue to whisk until combined. Pour the cooled chocolate mixture into the bowl and whisk until just combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the bowl and whisk until combined. Then, add the sour cream and whisk until just combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 of the way and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Make sure to rotate the pan halfway through the bake time for an even bake!
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. It’s time to make the frosting!
- Melt butter.
- Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency
- Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla.
- Frost cupcakes and then add Ghirardelli Peppermint Bark Square on top!