THIS POST WAS SPONSORED BY KING’S HAWAIIAN AS PART OF AN INFLUENCER ACTIVATION FOR INFLUENCE CENTRAL AND ALL OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN MY POST ARE MY OWN.
My oldest just finished her first few weeks of Kindergarten and she’s having such a great time! The staff have been such a great help during this big transition for her ( and me ) and we couldn’t be happier with how smooth it’s been. Lily felt a little overwhelmed being at a new school which is completely normal. We talk about how it’s ok to nervous, making new friends can be a challenge but to always treat others with kindness. She did say she loves her lunch time to see what other kids bring in and to chat with some new kids in class.
Trying Something New
Lily came home the other day and said she wanted to try and make a new kind of sandwich for her lunch instead of just her usual peanut butter and jelly. No problem! As a kid, my favorite sandwich was the sloppy, messy and oh so delicious sloppy joe sandwiches! They were a huge hit not only for me to bring to school ( and cover myself with napkins ) but also to share with a few friends who also loved the taste!
Hawaiian Sloppy Jo Subs
I decided to make these for her lunch and add a little extra touch because not only is the meat important, I think the bread is the main part. I used King’s Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls for this type of sandwich to hold all of the meat and keep everything as neat as possible. These mini rolls are so soft and fluffy which is perfect for loading them up with the sauce and meat that this recipe calls for. It’s a little difficult to not sneak a bit while preparing these either because the aroma is a little intoxicating!
I simply opened up the rolls and poured a mixture of the meat and sauce on top of them. Then I baked them in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes. Once they were cooled, Lily wanted to assist taking them apart and putting one in her lunchbox. We also added a variety of vegetables, fruit and a drink to complete the meal.
- 20 oz ground beef
- 3/4 c ketchup
- 2 t brown sugar
- 1 t dijon mustard
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t onion powder
- 1 package King’s Hawaiian Mini Subs
- 1 c cheddar cheese for topping
- 1/2 diced onion
- Preheat to oven to 350
- Brown the ground beef over medium heat in pan until no longer pink. Turn the heat low and drain the excess oil.
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, garlic powder and onion powder. Add condiment mixture to ground beef and stir over low heat
- Place the bottom half of the 6 mini subs in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Remove the sloppy joe mixture from the heat and spread it evenly across all the rolls.
- Place the top of each roll on top of the sloppy joe mixture
- Bake uncovered for 10 minutes and place a piece of foil over the top and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Although these may be best served warm, they are actually tasty served cold too or at room temperature when your kids are ready to enjoy with their friends.
Do your kids typically enjoy breaking the sandwich rut and trying something new? What are some recipes you’re excited to make for your little ones starting school this year using King Hawaiian rolls?