While we’re inside for a while, one of our favorite dishes to make and a huge comfort food to everyone in my family is soup. Specifically, chicken noodle soup.
This soup is super popular to make because of its simple ingredients, flavor and easy to freeze or enjoy later on. The key to this soup is it’s comfort that it brings to everyone that eats it, should be full of flavor and should be a good balance of noodles, vegetables, and seasoning.
Whose excited to get started to make this delicious soup this week? One thing we love to do is actually make this, freeze it and then take it when we are in a pinch for dinner ideas.
- Oil or butter for browning the chicken
- bone-in chicken thighs ( 3 lbs )
- onion and garlic – sliced ( half a medium onion and 2 T garlic )
- celery – sliced thin ( 3 stalks )
- carrots- sliced thin ( 3 )
- chicken broth ( 4 cups )
- bay leaves ( 1 or 2 )
- fresh lemon juice ( 1 T )
- egg noodles ( 14.5 oz package )
- chopped parsley
- turmeric ( 1/2 t )
- salt and pepper ( to taste )
- Brown the chicken – Set a large 6-8 quart soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil. Place the chicken skin-side down in the pot. Brown the chicken skin.
- Saute the Vegetables. Place the onions and garlic in the chicken fat. Stir and saute for several minutes. Then stir in the celery, carrots, and thyme and saute another minute or two.
- Simmer the Soup. Add the chicken pieces, chicken broth, bay leaves, and turmeric to the pot. Cover and simmer.
- Now the Noodles. Stir the egg noodles into the soup and simmer another minute or so, until the pasta is cooked.
- Shred the Chicken. Pull out the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Shred the chicken with a fork, and stir the chicken back into the soup.
- Freshen Up. Add the lemon juice and parsley!