I’ve been blogging for about 7 years now. In those 7 years my blog has changed drastically. I was a graduate student when I began blogging, sharing various eating options I’ve had throughout the day and fitness tips. This little blog has been through a lot with getting engaged, traveling the world, getting married, having our first child and now soon to be second, our 2 big moves across the US and more!
So with all that, how do you gain traffic to your blog? How do you want to make sure your blog gets noticed in a web full of hundreds of millions of bloggers just like you? I think these 6 steps can help!
1. Be APART of the Blogging World – When I first began blogging I would freak out if I had a comment from someone. I’d start commenting on others, replying to e-mails and sharing posts I loved. That really helped to boost my interaction with other bloggers and even start to blossom into friendships over the years. You have to be nice to everyone as best you can. Showing that kindness will encourage other bloggers to share your posts. Build a relationship with your role models. I’ve have so many amazing men and women out there who have helped me grow my blog and been there for me. By learning from there, you’re helping yourself and your blog.
2. Quality Over Quantity – Quality posts are important. I can’t tell you how many times I used to throw something together at the last minute, hit publish and look back thinking “Oh my gosh! How could I have done that?!” Think about your readers and what they want to hear, what they enjoy reading or how you can improve their day. Always think, what’s in it for your readers? What are they gaining from reading your post? Also, post consistently. You don’t have to post 5 times a week like I do if you’re super busy. As long as your posting great work, you’re readers will appreciate it.
3. Expand Your Ideas – Think of posts outside the box that’ll draw your readers in. I love sharing blog ideas when bloggers are stuck on what to write next because to me, that’s one of the most frustrating things that can happen ( 100 blog post ideas, 25 spring blog post ideas ). You could even interview some of your favorite bloggers or make a “Top 10” of your favorite foods, music, movies and more! Sometimes I’ve co-authored a post with another blogger and done a great link up.
4. Guest Post – To get my blog name out there, I’d always tell my favorite bloggers that I would guest post for them. Look for their most popular post and tailor a blog post after it. That gives them the most engagement and lets you know what their audience is looking for. Share your links on social media and your blog so they are able to connect with you on various platforms. Having these posts and then having your role model share your blog as well was a huge boost in numbers for me. Not only did it help my blog but it gave my followers a chance to get to know another blogger as well! #Winning !
5. Blog Theme – One of my biggest pet peeves is coming across a blog that just drives me nuts. I’m talking about tons of ads and pop ups, difficult to navigate, nothing matches and you can’t figure out you’re way around the blog. No No! Don’t have your blog like that. Clear themes are what you want! Big images! A standard method for writing your posts out so your followers know what to expect. Some bloggers will highlight certain things or bullet point. Make it easy for your readers to want to come back. Keeping things neat, clean and organized will make your readers appreciate your blog more. A clean blog is a happy blog and will help increase that traffic!