While visiting my in laws in Iowa, my MIL offered to give us some of her delicious zucchini from their garden. We’re hug fans of this vegetable because we use it for so many various things in the kitchen ( Zoodles , Beef Stroganoff with Zoodles and more ) but instead of using it for a substitute I wanted it to be the star of the show
Someone shared with me a delicious chocolate chip bread recipe and I almost drooled on my computer screen while reading the recipe and looking at her photos. She suggested that I could add some of the zucchini if i grated it ( plus it’s a great way to sneak some extra veggies into your child’s diet if they are picky ). I couldn’t wait to get started!
This recipe does make a pretty large loaf so be warned for big slices coming your way. Personally, my kids would be asking for seconds so one big portion isn’t terrible! Also feel free to substitute chocolate chips with something else such as raisins or any type of nuts. We all have a huge sweet tooth in my family so chocolate chips it was!
Do you need to peel the zucchini ?
That was question I had thought about but I didn’t. You can if you really want too but I know that having the peel on does add some extra nutrients so it might be best to leave it on. Not to worry- my kids didn’t notice a thing!
What’s An Easy Way To Cut Zucchini for this bread?
I used a grater that I had. THIS one is my favorite because it has a small container for storing and measuring your ingredients without the mess or hassle! You could also use a grating attachment of a food processor too. For large zucchini, cut it into chunks and then quarter it while also scooping out the seeds. This will make it easier to grate in your zucchini bread.
Alright now onto the best part- how to make it enjoy this yummy bread.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini, drained
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk together the oil, sour cream, eggs, vanilla, and sugar until smooth and well combined.
- Stir in the grated zucchini.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle with more chocolate chips if desired, and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the loaf pan, then remove the bread to a wire rack to cool completely.
Some of my favorite items you’ll need:
I can’t wait to hear what you guys think!
Share in the comments below if you’re a chocolate chip fan in your bread or a raisin fan!